Skip to main content

Updates on BlackBerry development

Around a week ago, I discovered an issue that could very likely have thwarted my BlackBerry development plans had I not found a solution of sorts. After finding all the necessary tools, I had finally started working on my first BlackBerry app. At first, it ran fine on both my device and the emulator. However, after adding a few new features, a major issue came up: the app wouldn’t run on my device unless it was signed.

Simple, right?

So, all I needed to do was sign the app. That’s easy enough, right? Unfortunately not. You can still request new keys from BlackBerry, and they’ll send them to you, but the actual key registration setup utility does not work anymore. This is likely due to a dependency on some service that has been shut down.

This meant that I couldn’t sign the app. After asking Twitter for advice, (Massive thanks to Nostalgitech and Paul Wallace for the help, by the way!) I realized that I was going to have to figure something else out.

Some good news and some bad news...

After looking into the issue a bit more, it turned out that certain APIs couldn’t be used if the app wasn’t signed due to security reasons. This was good, since it meant I could make a working BlackBerry app as long as I avoided those APIs. Unfortunately, this also meant that what I could do with my app was significantly limited, due to these restrictions.

So, what now?

At this point, I’m fairly confident that I’ll be able to release the two promised BlackBerry apps. However, without signing a BlackBerry app, you can’t use the database, web browser, or file picker APIs to list a few major ones. Consequently, there’s only so much I can do so these apps will probably be pretty simple.

A happy ending (of sorts)

Thankfully, I have a feeling the apps I release will still turn out quite well! I’ve been able to work around some of the limitations, and I’m pleased with the results so far. Obviously, it’s disappointing that these issues have come up. However, I’m just glad I’ll be able to write some BlackBerry apps, even if they aren’t the most complex.

Thanks again to all who helped me with this, and thank you to those who have made it this far in the pos. Stay tuned for more updates, as they will hopefully be coming soon!

Popular posts from this blog

A small Violoncello update!

Hi, everyone! I am pleased to say that I have released a small update for Violoncello. This update makes some refinements to the UI, fixes some bugs, and introduces an exciting new feature! What is this new feature? Many mobile browsers show and hide the navigation bar depending on the direction you are scrolling. Violoncello now does this too! However, if you don't care for this new feature, you can always disable it in settings. Check it out! You can download the latest version of Violoncello from the Play Store . I hope you like it! Before I end this post... I would just like to say thank you. I have made a lot of apps over the years, but none have done quite as well as Violoncello has these past few months. Thank you to everyone who has downloaded Violoncello, upgraded to premium, and/or left supportive ratings or reviews. I really appreciate it!

First app update of 2021!

Hi, everyone. I am excited to announce that I have released the first update for one of my apps in 2021! As you might have expected, the app receiving the update is Violoncello. So, in this post, I'll be going over what's new in Violoncello 1.4. Revamped Bookmarks One of the main things this update introduces is a much-improved bookmarks system! It's a lot more intuitive now, and it's certainly a big upgrade. Multi-Window Support One thing I had been meaning to add was support for multi-window mode in Android. This could certainly be helpful, especially on some foldable phones where there's more space to spread things out. Pinch-to-Zoom This is another feature that I had been hoping to add for a while, as it's quite useful! It's enabled by default now, but you can disable it if you want. Updated Icons I have updated some of the app's icons. Squashing Some Bugs Finally, I have fixed some bugs. The Conclusion Violoncello 1.4 is an update that makes a lot o

PDF Toolbox v1.5 is here!

Greetings, everyone! It's been a little while, but I have finally released another PDF Toolbox update! This update adds a handy new feature, gets rid of a few useless ones, and significantly improves the user experience. What's new: Blank PDF options: One handy feature of PDF Toolbox is the ability to create blank PDFs. Now, you can change the page size and orientation, not just the number of pages! Conversion page removal: I have removed the conversion page. This is because most of the conversion tools weren't very useful, and they kind of just added clutter. UI improvements: I have made the UI look and feel quite a bit nicer and much more consistent. Bug fixes and other tweaks: Perhaps most importantly, I have fixed a lot of bugs! I have also made a number of other improvements behind the scenes to improve the user experience. You can download PDF Toolbox v1.5 from the Windows page   on my site. I hope you like it!